Find Asians
Japanese Cultural Festival
I told them. I told them cosplay was big in Argentina.
And they mocked me.
Seek Sikhs
Only Gurdwara in South America
In Rosario de la Frontera, 1.5 hours from Buenos Aires.
and of course
Hipsters!!
Post-Modern Buenos Aires?
Ironically, once they're gone, we pursue them.
Adventure awaits.
(All research credit due to Alec.)
5 comments:
Is America post-ironic yet? Also, can you be hip and non-ironic? I don't count on an abusive sense of irony in those who look like they are a hipster-schmoo.
Portrait of a Sincere Hipster: The Biography of Mark Haslam
or
Edgar Allen Schmoo: Portrait of a Modern Hipster
same book, different title.
I'd like to add...
Furburgers
Poontang Sudamericano
Girl, I didn't fly halfway across the world NOT to have sex with you
Joaquin, my opinion: There are definitely post-ironic hipsters. I'd say hipsterdom is defined by pastiche -- e.g. the post-modern "past as pastiche" -- which twists normal meanings and defies convention, becoming eclectic and idiosyncratic. This technique was used ironically to resist (and distance oneself from) hypocrisy -- create a church-like space, utilizing that already understood context, and then instead of a religious object put some Nike sneakers on the altar; BOOM -- but it isn't inherently ironic; still, just as "meaning is constructed" became "meaning is arbitrary", so did pastiche-as-distancing become a way to distance yourself from /all/ meaningful contexts, not just the hypocritical ones-- including the very context created by those who resisted hypocrisy (Nikes-on-altar now being very passe).
But one could, for example -- to steal from Alec -- create a church-like space and put a piece of abstract art on the altar: like, hey, I bet you haven't tried worshiping this because you only see it in museums, but I'm going to mess with your head and get you to try.
So if you're a hipster because you're just really excited about crazy shit -- like Seattle's sweet hipster-hop group Mad Rad, or probably Mark Haslam, who I don't know as well as Robin but I know to be a cool and solid guy -- then, well, you're not a schmoo; you're taking a stand. You're not aloof from anything; you're not using pastiche as a defense mechanism. That seems hip and non-ironic to me.
Is America post-ironic? Well-- I'll say this: I don't think we've /settled/ on a way to be post-ironic. But I think, unlike perhaps the previous generation, we've found ways, and some of them could even become norms.
Post a Comment