Wednesday, August 31, 2011

BUT CAN HE DJ?

Dear Party Promoters,

Facebook event invites for music almost always have lengthy artist bios. I find these painful. Here is an example. If you only read one, please read this one, from front to back.

I'd like you to consider, as you read, that Tom Middleton has been hired to DJ a party in SF.

"Tom Middleton is a pioneering electronic producer, DJ, music curator and designer who needs little introduction. Renowned worldwide for his visionary projects as Global Communication, Jedi Knights, Cosmos, AMBA and others, he’s been responsible for landmark productions and compilations. He’s worked with friends and artists such as Ulrich Schnauss and Aphex Twin and DJ’d alongside bands and artists as varied as Lady Gaga and Snoop Dog. Tom is also an in demand remixer and has remixed a number of mainstream artists including Prince, Coldplay, Duran Duran and Florence And The Machine among many others. Last year Tom collaborated with Mr Jones Watches to create a unique timepiece with a BPM counter. And Tom has recently been appointed by Yotel as the Music Director and Sound Architect for their new Times Square hotel. The role will see Tom programming the music that is played throughout the hotel and will also include bespoke music and sound design created by Tom for the various hotel zones."

I'm going to break this apart as best I can...

>> pioneering electronic producer, DJ, music curator and designer
what? that's all great, but is he a fuckin house dj or not?!

>> who needs little introduction
really? then why is this paragraph so long?

>> landmark productions and compilations
can you name a landmark compilation in GENERAL? compilations so essential that they continue to help everyone find their way through electronic music? I don't understand.

>> friends and artists such as Ulrich Schnauss and Aphex Twin
wtf? I know he has worked with some more relevant people than this. who is #1? Aphex Twin is NOT what I would be paying to dance to.

>> DJ’d alongside bands and artists as varied as Lady Gaga and Snoop Dog
I'm going to see this underground house music show... I think? Please don't ruin my buzz. Also, it's spelled "Dogg."

>> has remixed a number of mainstream artists including Prince, Coldplay, Duran Duran and Florence And The Machine
How did I miss all those releases? I must have missed them being played in livingrooms and shitty limousines and Las Vegas nightclubs and by Donovan.

>> Last year Tom collaborated with Mr Jones Watches to create a unique timepiece with a BPM counter.
Wow. That's the number one quality I look at in a musician: watch-making.

>> And Tom has recently been appointed by Yotel as the Music Director and Sound Architect for their new Times Square hotel. The role will see Tom programming the music that is played throughout the hotel and will also include bespoke music and sound design created by Tom for the various hotel zones

I give up. I don't give a flying shit about times square hotel zones, and maybe I never will. I want to see someone who is renown for taking dance floors on a journey. Someone who is routinely playing underground gigs, taking risks and releasing good MIXES. Someone who might be a credible DJ. Someone who has been DJing for more than thirty years (Danny Krivit). Someone who has a famous school of thought about DJing (Theo Parrish). Someone who was the DJ inspiration for other famous DJs (Danny Tenaglia). Someone that held a legendary night somewhere for so many years (Timmy Regisford). Someone who notoriously did 28 DJ gigs in a row (Doc Martin). Something about what I should expect if I pay to see them DJ. If you took me seriously as a customer, this wouldn't be a problem. Can I get a link to some of his new work? or ANY of it?

I am stoked about seeing him DJ, but not because of his watch making, times square hotel zones, touring with snoop dogg and lady gaga, or even his countless visionary acts of music curation. But because he might actually be a great DJ. I'm going to have to convince myself on this one.

thank you,
Robin



No comments: