Friday, June 26, 2009

Musical Approaches to Modernity

Older, descriptive:

Electric Light Orchestra puts their foot forward on modernity and the future, with America as a starting point. To me this expresses optimism about America's role in the future that we no longer have. Now, you would have to look to Asia, or at lease acknowledge it.
Okay then. Calling Tokyo:





Newer, non-descriptive:

CFCF makes thick, beautiful slowed down electronic music. With riffs like these, and filtered, non-sensible vocals that seem to have gender themes, you can't help see a strong modernity in this. With equal disdain for the accessible and non-accessible, this is what the future sounds like.




Newer, descriptive:

John B makes an effort to anthemize the modern world using a hyper-electofied version of drum'n'bass. When I was in high school I would turn the sound up really loud in my headphones and listen to this in study hall. Helped me understand why I felt so different than all the zombies around me, I guess. Now I see things a little clearer.




Newer, nostalgic:

This is an absolute classic for me. It shows the ways in which the future looks to justify the past. Totally awesome results.




Newer, sexualized:

No apology necessary. Just enjoy -- maybe not at work. This was really awesome at coachella, live.

No comments: