Sunday, June 21, 2009

Also

I just saw this movie tonight. It won the Golden Space Needle, the highest award, at the Seattle International Film Festival. It is the funniest movie I have ever seen.



Sure, I'd like to write a movie about saving the ghetto, going to Kung Fu Island, and then nunchuk-fighting Richard Nixon. But that's impossible, because a screenplay so based in adolescent masturbatory fantasy will never be as good as it seems when we're stoned and writing it. Unless... there were an entire genre premised on adolescent masturbatory fantasy...

The reason this movie succeeds: it is simultaneously an independently very entertaining movie and a perfect send-up of the blaxploitation genre, which Bushy and I were painfully exposed to when we decided on a whim to rent Dolemite, whereupon we felt morally bound not to enjoy the film ironically as we had intended based on its sheer heinousness. Yet Black Dynamite capitalizes perfectly on said disgrace.

I am buying this shit as soon as it is released on DVD.

No comments: