Head's up; here's my plan.
I'm enrolled for a quarter at the University of Washington to take a seminar involving -- and volunteer for -- the Children's Center for Philosophy, which, as soon as I sort out the convoluted details this weekend (presuming I can), will be sending me to tutor philosophy at an under-privileged public high school in south Seattle and possibly also at a very-privileged elementary school, two very different teaching experiences that I would appreciate equally given the vastly different skill sets they employ. I'm also taking a graduate seminar, but due to time constraints I cannot take the cool one (on the philosophy underlying international law, which my mother used to teach as a law professor, in the building where she used to teach), and so instead I am taking the lame one (on Aristotle-- could be worse-- I should consider myself lucky it's still about ethics).
Now that my autophile housemate has graduated and transitioned directly into graduate school, I'm going to begin seriously looking at cars to purchase, because, ironically enough, getting my license is too much of a pain in the ass without a car to drive. This is now my top priority, particularly since I'm burned out on opening boxes -- I spent literally an entire weekend perusing the box of legal depositions my notorious uncle labeled "Save for future litigation" [against my father] -- it's a long story, and one I would gladly tell were I not burned out on writing too. And speaking of opening boxes, once I acquire this long-awaited vehicle, I intend on charging back to the Bay Area so as to finally relieve Robin and Colonel Springtime of the burdens I foisted upon them so long ago. About fucking time.
The quarter ends on June 5th. Sarah Jeong, with whom I spoke lengthily today, has her 21st birthday on June 8th (unfortunately a Monday), and spoke of ambitions to venture to Asia SF to celebrate this great occasion. Chris of Romance Boys fame should be back in early June as well, and we have promised each other a shabu-shabu adventure.
Here is what I am thinking:
I will crush this quarter at the UW, in the process innocently manipulating my aged professor into letting me write something totally anachronistic and actually sweet on like the merits and inadequacies of Aristotle's approach in a post-modern era, thereby completing also my ulterior objective of inspiring myself to write another essay potentially worthy of academic publication, and by this time having finished reorganizing the rest of my mother's (and my child self's) effects, an even more taxing project than I anticipated. With the end of the school year for the places I'll be (presumably) tutoring at arriving simultaneously and my other local tasks completed, I'll be free to go wherever I please. I could travel earlier than this, but I am already visiting New York the week of May 10th-17th to hang with all the Dragon Brothers, and assuming I'll have my license and car completely secured before June is probably too ambitious knowing me.
In sum: I want to visit Berkeley in early June -- probably its first weekend and a few days after -- if you guys are down to have me. I wanted to let everyone know early in case work schedules conflict. While there, I would like to complete the following quests:
- Requisition my abandoned belongings / hopefully still-intact Japanese prints with which to festoon my haphazardly decorated room (I resorted to a fairly sweet and expansive collage of things acquired on post-college travels, including some excellent Japanese shopping bags I cut up and my Golden Temple head-covering, but most of my history remains missing)
- Go to Sarah Jeong's 21st birthday celebration, preferably at Asia SF -- which I missed out on so hard -- and preferably with Miles attending
- Engage in much danceportation
- Duel Eugene again (you'd better start practicing, man; boxing is going very well)
- Duel Miles again, with one hand tied behind my back
- Duel Robin... on the internet (COUNTER)
- Devour shabu-shabu and swill sake with the Romance Boys (Cheng, Lord Byron, and Banderas) and as many of you guys as can attend
- Give the Colonel a biiiiiiiiig hug
- Tell eloquent tales of my extravagant/hilariously-gay adventures thus far; listen avidly to yours
- Shout "Go Bears!" and "Schmoo!" as many times as possible
Will you help me make this dream a reality?
4 comments:
unfortunately the dream has kind of a telling hitch...
basant will be gone by that point to washington DC and I will have to move before the beginning of june. in fact, the beginning of june is definitely the point where i have to have moved out.
another move with yoru belingings... they are honestly all intact that I know of. I have not been keeping careful track of them, but i have not used any to make hilarious pranks as i originally imagined, so that's some sort of honor?
I would gladly help to make this a reality...
The Zom-bomb does make good points though. When is the Colonel leaving for DC?
P.S. Should probably remove the Colonel's name from the comment, at least until we have his approval.
Okay, thanks for letting me know. If he's leaving for DC -- and you're moving -- I'll definitely want to make my way down earlier, if only so you don't have to cart all my shit around again.
Car research went much quicker than anticipated, and I may even have my vehicle by tomorrow.
I'll keep the dream alive until more details become available.
PS
DC, Colonel? Did you finally get promoted to Postmaster General? I am too out of touch.
Perhaps that's what so much Pokemon-related debauchery will do to a man.
Still, I have no regrets.
Post a Comment