Waking up this morning in an actual bed, I realized I couldn't remember what I had written.
Looking back, I think I went on the blog because of a text message I got from Robin, and then was so dazed I forgot to closely read his account. Well done. Despite only being barely able to hold my own against New York myself, and that with some extensive practice, I still was startled to think that there is anything in this world that would dare to call you uncool. Want me to beat it up for you?
I made a number of vague allusions; one of them was to what I have taken to calling the "amateur journal" that Alec wants to set up. I'm writing some interesting stuff for it, the kind of philosophizing I like to do that doesn't belong in the classroom; my first piece is half-done, and on the ethical ramifications of "gayntervention", where a man uses his homosexuality as a barrier to protect women on the dance floor, and what it says about the meaning of self-respect, courage, and how to successfully make a tool of oneself without sacrificing either.
Somehow I don't think the University of Chicago's "Ethics" quarterly would want to accept that one.
Anyway, when I mentioned this "Another Slogan" project to my dad, he -- with his penchant for poetry that I lack -- recalled a piece by e. e. cummings, and upon reading it I was quite struck. I wanted to share it with you; I thought you'd like it.
-
60
dive for dreams
or a slogan may topple you
(trees are their roots
and wind is wind)
trust your heart
if the seas catch fire
(and live by love
though the stars walk backward)
honour the past
but welcome the future
(and dance your death
away at this wedding)
never mind a world
with its villains or heroes
(for god likes girls
and tomorrow and the earth)
-
Thanks for calling, Eugene, and for being alright. I meant what I said.
It really feels like the holidays, now.
No comments:
Post a Comment