I am a bad blogger. I am involved with three blogs under two different blogger accounts, and I don't post nearly enough on any of them. Even though I'm a bad blogger, blogging has had an affect on how I process my thoughts.
I first started blogging last summer when a friend told me I was a good candidate to write a blog about Ultimate. Well, I started a blog, tried to mix in some personal posts, and talked a lot about frisbee. I tried to move away from the frisbee talk in the fall and instead chronical some of my exploits (like the roadtrip to New Mexico). Anyway, my writing and spelling were always poor,
and I was generally unmotivated to change it. That is, until I started reading Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg.
Reading about writing lead me to think that I too could be a writer. Anyway, I tried my hand at writing with a post on my would be frisbee blog. I think the experiment turned out well. I attempted to express my mood without really describing many of my emotions. I think it works if you know me. Anyway, as the year continued, and things changed at home, I got away from writing about my personal life (the exact thing I didn't want to do). Additionally, I stopped reading Writing Down the Bones and eventually got away from my casual reading endever completely. I feel like it's about time to both start reading and writing again. Also, a couple of events from today have been replaying in my mind.
I've been working 9:30-5:30 teaching three summer classes a day at the climbing gym all week, and today was even longer because I also taught basic safety from 7-9 pm. In these one week classes everyone is finally comfortable with each other come Thursday. The kids really come out of their shells, their progress is cool to see and really inspiring. In addition to becoming comfortable with each other, they kids start to form attachments to their teachers, and they start asking more questions about who we are.
On the way to the classroom today a 14 year old girl, Alandre, asked me my last name. I thought it was kind of an odd question, but the oddness wasn't entirely unexpected seeing as she asked me if I permed my hair yesterday. I had a brief moment of hesitation, then decided to answer. Upon hearing my last name is Nagle she just said 'Wow.'
I was curious and asked why my response warranted a 'wow.' She explained that I looked a lot like a person her mom used to work with. She said her mom and this person were really good friends. I said, 'Toni?' Se said 'Yeah, and she just . . . oh, I'm so sorry.'
I really didn't know what to say. I think I didn't say anything. We were just getting into the classroom, so I just started talking about what we were about to work on. Things carried on as usual throughout the rest of the class, but I couldn't help but think about my little conversation.
On a lighter note, the basic safety class had the funniest dynamic I've ever seen. Also, it has only gotten better with more reflection. I had two students, one of whom I knew to be 18, even though he acted 15 and looked like an overly muscular 16 year old nerd. He just seemed spaztic, and didn't really understand the relaxed seriousness that the climbing gym possesses. The other student was an attractive woman clearly in her early 20s (my guess was 22, turns out she was 21).
About an hour into the class I went to get water while the two students were tyeing into a rope. When I returned, the woman, Carlie, said, 'Apparently I'm a senior in high school instead of about to be a senior in college.' I asked what she meant, and she said that Jon had guessed that to be her age. I asked her what her age actually was, and if she went to the UC. I thought I was defusing tension, then I realized that it might seem like both guys were now hitting on her. Well, she asked if I was in school, and my age, we talked briefly, exchanging pleasantries. When I said I have a degree in math, Jon explained how he hates math, and how he wants to be a vet, but his mom thinks he should go to massage school. I realized it was time to get the class back on track, and the humor had to end there.
So, there is a ton of sweet outlandish things going on here. From the overzealous manchild, to the to proud college student. To her assuming I just came back to Santa Cruz to hang out and do nothing. Anyway, all the assumptions, combined with the awkwardness and her attractiveness is right up my humor ally.
I understand the contrast between these situations is emense, but they've both been replaying in my head all night. Anyway, seeing as I'm a blogger now, this is where it goes. Maybe I'll become a good blogger (do I want that to happen?).
2 comments:
Compatriot:
Your intentions are admirable. Best of luck with self-expression.
fatty post!
thanks for hitting up the presidio dawg. and sorry it took so long to get back to you. if you asked me what i'm up to it would take me a long time to really answer, but i feel incredibly busy.
once i get a moment of free time i have so many videos and stories. it's out of control.
weirdly i don't know if i can even post them on my blog. i'll see if i can figure out why i feel that way. maybe my life is too "charged" right now. that's a word that's been floating around a lot recently.
Post a Comment