It turns out, you really have to live the way you love, or else you are just someone that cites their cool interests to attract people to them at parties. That other person is a sad, socially empty and deeply compromised tool, looking for hobby level inclusion in one or more communities that they have not committed to and do not take seriously.
Thank God that I knew I had something to give to house music. After four or more years of not engaging the house music community, only to get to know lots of people (only a very specific few even have communities, and none of them are open for membership to outsiders) -- I am just happy I didn't forget I had something to give back.
Money cannot buy integrity. But if you don't know what to do with it, you sure can lose a lot. Every major move you make has added significance when money is part of the equation. It becomes increasingly important that you cannot spend it casually. You must be sure that each use of money is coherent with your goals and viewpoints.
It is for this reason that I will not be consuming purchasable items at restaurants with any of you. This is not a measured calculation, but a response to the realization that it has nothing to do with how I want to live or who I want to be.
I want to distinguish first between a restaurant and a place where you get food.
Taco's Sandwiches is a place where you get food. You enter, ask a man to make you a sandwich and he does that. A restaurant is a place where "elite" services and an aristocratic manner of interaction are being sold to you as a commodity, for prices well beyond the cost of food preparation.
I would like to add here, that very infrequently do any restaurants choose to educate the customer on how the food is being made.
I would also like to distinguish between the difference from menu education (the practice of providing very long descriptions on the menu) and real education. Menu education makes no effort to prove the legitimacy, and cleanliness of the food preparation process. Menu education is self-marketing, like the Common writing lengthy praises of each shirt on its tag. Real education is allowing the customer to see the ingredients, their source, the cleanliness of the people making the food, and it's preparation.
The reason this is an issue is that you always have the luxury of seeing this when you eat with others. And it costs a lot less. Poor people do not feel excluded from joining.
There are a lot of things wrong with the world of food. Given that I don't particularly feel that it's a healthy way to eat, I am prone to spend my time on this planet avoiding spending any money on it. I will gladly accompany a friend to a restaurant, but only for the sake of conversation. I just refuse to pay for any services, and will only eat items which are free, such as kim chi, tea and water. If I accidentally consume something that is not free, please let me know and I will stop right away. If there are no free services, such as water, I will not be joining you.
kisses,
R
No comments:
Post a Comment