Friday, August 13, 2010

I, Hipster.


An epic of epic epicness? Rollover to see the twitter conversation? Ah yes, hit up the FB for some sweet tix and showtimes. Sounds cool!

It feels like selling out, as an individual act, just sold out, and then sold itself to a tween hipster for a pack of cigs. This tween hipster then used its power to hate everything (except itself - so awesome?!), and that new hate sold itself to a corporation - and started tweeting.

2 comments:

PrincipleD said...

Robin,

When we were at the Classixx show together, you said something I found very interesting: that hipsters, for all their masked inauthenticity and living at a distance, do at least strive for good taste, and thereby populate events like the one we were at when otherwise they might be ignored.

Setting aside the painful hypocrisy exposed on all sides by such a thing as a marketing campaign aimed at hipsters--

The movie's pretty sweet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/13/movies/13scott.html?ref=todayspaper

Critic's pick, baby. A.O. Scott has never let me down, and he didn't yesterday either.

Robin said...

I don't think you'll be surprised that I'm quite happy the movie's good. The marketing campaign however, is really "firing on all pistons" -- beating the live horse as if it's dead.

In regards to my comment, i do want to clarify one point -- i really like it that they are trying to understand what's happening in our culture, and not just ignore new things in favor of old and comfortable ones. I hope and wish that my generation of non-hipster gen-y lazies steps it up and gets out the door at some point. That said -- I will continue to do so regardless of how youngor sadly emo looking the people are.