I feel like leprechauns are shoving candies so far into the back of my mouth that it's triggering my gag reflex, or maybe that's just because I'm watching the U2 portion of Obama's inaugural. I feel like Obama is simultaneously tickling my balls and performing my bris, sans any religion-induced psychological painkiller. It's actually surprising easy to spew out similes for this well-choreographed confusing and conflicting travesty. Here's a list of some of the more emotional moments of the inauguration for me:
Awesome Good Weird Painful
Denzel Washington
Bruce Springsteen
fat MLK son apparently some sort of actress
Jamie Fox Steve Carrell
Marisa Tomei "ing Ronald Reagan
Joe Biden
Queen Latifah
Kumar George Lopez
Herbie Hancock will.i.am & Sheryl Crow
Tiger Woods
Rosario Dawson Jack Black
Garth Brooks
Forest Whitaker another supposed actress
Stevie Wonder Usher & Shakira
Samuel L. Jackson
Barack Obama
Beyonce

Note that people on the same line appeared simultaneously, so yes, Kumar did appear with George Lopez, will.i.am did rap about politics over Herbie Hancock's rendition of Bob Marley's "One Love", and Usher did trade ad libs with Stevie Wonder over "Higher Ground". Wow, that last part was physically painful to write.
On top of it all, it was more a tribute to progressing race relations than to our 44th president. With any luck, we'll get all this out of our system by the time we elect our next ethnic president.
All that being said, amongst my favorite Obama speeches. Really, damn good. I felt all tingly.
There, I finally posted.
2 comments:
Tingly, indeed.
That simile with the bris was gnarly, I gotta say (note that I did not, in fact, know what that was before i Wikipedia'd it). I don't blame you though...how could they do that to Stevie Wonder and Herbie Hancock? I didn't even see the Inauguration because of physical therapy and work, and I find myself blanching at the prospect. I can imagine something like that physical hurting me too.
And yes, that was a fantastic speech.
That poet was pretty weak.
The preacher that came on afterward was sweet, though.
Post a Comment